The Textile and Garment Sector in India is ranked as the 3rd largest exporter across the world. The industry contributes 2.3% to India’s GDP and is also positioned 2nd in terms of providing employment as well.
This particular industry consists of a wide array of products which includes traditional handloom products, handicrafts, silk products, woollen products using capital-intensive technology. The major textile manufacturing players in India are Punjab, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Delhi-NCR, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
Welcome to Jockey International, Inc.
Jockey International, Inc. is a privately owned company founded by Samuel T. Cooper in Michigan, USA. The American company is both a manufacturer and retailer of underwear for men, Lingerie for women, sleepwear and sportswear for men, women and children.
To have their brand well-know in other regions such as Sri Lanka, India, Nepal and UAE, Page Industries Limited got an exclusive license of Jockey International, Inc. in order to manufacture, distribute and market Jockey brand in the above-mentioned countries. This industry is located in Bangalore, India pioneering the inner-wear sector on many fronts.
History of Jockey International and Jockey India
- Samuel Thrall Cooper founded S.T.Cooper & Sons company was in 1876 in St. Joseph, Michigan, USA, being its predecessor of Jockey International, Inc.
- In 1878, the company reached a new milestone of manufacturing more than 2500 pair of stockings daily. After the demise of Samuel Cooper, his sons, Charles, Henry and Willis took charge of the company.
- In 1897, the company introduced a hosiery brand called Black Cat for men, women and children.
- By 1898, the three brothers led the company to a new direction by redesigning men’s underwear.
- In 1900, the company was renamed as Cooper Underwear Company.
- In 1912, the company branded under Kenosha Klosed Krotch was ranked as the leading inner wear brand label in the market.
- In 1929, the company changed its name to Cooper Inc.
- It was in 1934, that the company manufactured its first every Jockey brief. By 1935, the company started selling the product on a larger scale.
- The company changed its name to Jockey Menswear, Inc in 1971 and in the following year the company was renamed to Jockey International, Inc.
- By 1988, “Jockey for her”, was introduced in the inner wear industry by Steigerwaldt which turned out to be a massive success.
- In 1994, Page Industries got an exclusive license from Jockey International to manufacture and distribute the brand in India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and UAE.
- In 1999, the company launched its very first official website; jockey.com
As of September 2017, the company has over 384 exclusive jockey outlets across India with 286 stores on high streets and around 98 outlets in malls with a constantly growing customer base.
What are the unique selling points of Jockey India?
Jockey is a well-know, highly reputed and one of the leading brands manufacturing inner wear, sleepwear and sportswear for men, women and children. This particular brand has been well-established and trusted across the world since 1876.
Jockey India has successfully created a strong foothold by having over 384 outlets in various cities and towns across the country with a constant increase in the customer base. This has mainly happened due to the following reasons.
- Changing retailing rules according to the market
- Attractive packaging of products
- Maintaining a culture of manufacturing high-quality products
Ensuring that the brand is marketed in such a way that they are proven as the best brand in the market in terms of quality, comfort, style and value to its customers.
The company’s USP is it’s advertising and marketing campaigns that create good brand visibility for its products. Their one-of-a-kind campaigning has created a drastic shift in a way that alters consumers perception of inner wear in India.
Jockey is a successfully recognized trademark in over 120 countries as the brand is easily available in almost all multi-retail brand stores, high streets and commercial shopping malls globally. The response from these outlets has further encouraged the company to open more outlets in the emerging markets.
One of the USP’s of Jockey India is that they believe in retaining, developing, empowering and motivating its employees to ensure the company’s value system and its employee’s values are perfectly aligned with one another.
What are the benefits of owning a Jockey franchise in India?
- Every Jockey Franchise in India receives an operational manual from the main head office on the know-how for managing a Jockey outlet in India.
- All its franchise owners receive an added and major benefit as the company has extensive experience and are highly reputable in the Indian garment sector. This provides its franchisees with a plus point in the emerging market.
- The company also provides full support to its franchisees by providing them with advice for their queries and issues as well as any other means of support required by them so as to maintain the professional and economic growth of the store.
- Jockey also provides adequate assistance while a new franchise outlet is launched. This assistance includes providing training to the staff, helping the franchise owner to design the interior and physical appearance of the outlet along with giving them choices on a suitable location for the store.
What are the requirements that make a potential owner eligible for a Jockey franchise in India?
What is the area required to set up a franchise?
The total area required to set up a Jockey India franchise is around 1000 to 1400 Sq.ft for the Exclusive business outlet along with 40 to 50 feet of frontage. The depth and height of the store should be 25 to 30 feet and 10 to 12 feet respectively. The store location area can either be owned or can be taken up on a rental basis.
What are the skills or experience required to own a Jockey franchise in India?
The potential franchise owner should possess entrepreneurial and leadership skills to ensure the smooth running of the store on a day-to-day basis. The entire management team of the franchise should be updated with the current market trends in order to maintain footfall in the store along with a regular flow of income. The employees must have complete knowledge of the products and must be able to help customers in a professional and courteous way.
What are Jockey India’s regions of operation?
Jockey India at present runs over 150 franchise outlets across India. The regions of operations are Delhi, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Telangana, Assam, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu. Maharashtra, Goa, Gujarat, Kerala and many more
What is the training required to the staff members in a Jockey Franchise?
The company provides complete support and assistance in the launch of its new franchise outlet to the entire management. The head office provides all the training that is necessary to run the outlet smoothly and in a professional manner. An expert guide is provided to every franchise outlet so that all the employees are updated with the current marketing trends and the products that are available in the outlet.
What is the minimum number of staff members required to run a franchise outlet?
The minimum number of people required in a single Jockey franchise outlet in India is around 4 to 6 employees. This number depends upon the built-up area used for the outlet as well.
What are the financial requirements to become eligible for a Jockey franchise in India?
The total amount of investment required to set up a franchise outlet ranges from 45 to 50 lakhs. Jockey India does not take any royalty fees or franchise fees from its potential franchise owners.
The profitability of the franchise can be further explained through a hypothetical example shown below.
Total investment made in franchise = Rs.45,00,000
Expenses incurred in a month
- Rent paid for a 1200 Sq.ft area = Rs.2,50,000
- Salaries paid to 5 employees (Rs.10,000*5) = Rs.50,000
- Miscellaneous expenses incurred for the month = Rs.10,000
Total expenses incurred in a month = Rs.3,10,000
Income earned in a month
- The average footfall of customers in a day = 50 customers
- Average amount an individual spends in store = Rs.1000
- Total income earned in a day (50*Rs.1000) = Rs.50,000
Total income earned in a month (Rs.50,000*30) = Rs.15,00,000
Gross profit for the month
Gross profit for the month (50% of Rs.15,00,000) = Rs.7,50,000
Total profit for the month
Total profit earned in a month (Rs.7,50,000 – Rs.3,10,000) = Rs.4,40,000
You can get back your entire investment based on the profitability example within 10 to 12 months.
If you are looking to make a name for yourself in the Textile and Garment sector in India, then Jockey franchise is the best business you can invest your money in taking in consideration the emerging market trends in our country. The above article gives an in-depth analysis of all the important pointers that are required for you to become a potential franchise buyer.
Jockey operates in India in a tie-up with Page Industries, a Bangalore based company who holds an exclusive license of Jockey International, Inc. to manufacture, market and distribute Jockey products in India and few other places as well.
There are two business models for becoming eligible for a Jockey franchise in India.
- You can become a Jockey distributor. This particular business model is for those businessmen who already own a retail garment store. With this option, you can become a distributor or retailer for Jockey products as well. The company will supply you with products at a discounted rate on the market price. You can also avail a cash discount or discount on the overall products throughout the year.
- The second one is you become the owner of an exclusive Jockey franchise outlet launched at a premium commercial retail location. This particular model will require an investment amount as mentioned in the article, unlike the previous business model. You will need to follow company guidelines to get your store interiors done and you will also receive all the support and assistance from the main head office as well.
This clearly shows us that Jockey has a strong foothold and heavy footfall of customers in India because of its network distribution. Jockey has successfully opened over 140 franchise outlets located all across the country. This particular company is a proven business opportunity for upcoming entrepreneurs who want to create a name for themselves. The company has constantly proven to be highly profitable and a great investment opportunity. For further details, you can contact the information mentioned below.